The Story of the Lost Bridge
Early days in the Ozarks were difficult at best. The terrain was very rugged, mountain sides were steep and rocky, population was sparse and money was scarce. Under these handicaps the people of Benton County attempted to build a good road to connect the towns of Garfield and Eureka Springs.
It would be necessary to cross the White River and it was decided that a concrete bridge should be built. This would be the most expensive part of the project, so it was built first.
It was completed in the summer of 1929. The "Great Depression" came that winter and there was no money to complete the road. For five years a fine concrete bridge spanned the river, but there were no approaches and there was no road.
The "lost bridge" stood isolated until 1934 when the approaches were built and the road was completed.
On 7 May 1943 a flood destroyed the bridge. A concrete low-water crossing was built near the bridge. Everything was covered with water when Beaver Lake was built in March 1964. Even today, the water is so clear you can still see the bridge from the air.